≡ Menu

Deja Vu

I couldn’t decide if the name of this post should be what it is, or “Whoops I did it again..”, but being that I’m not the biggest fan of Britney Spears.. I opted otherwise. The message is the same though.. I am back to having only 9 working digits, I broke my finger. Again (although in a different spot than the last time.) This didn’t just happen, it happened almost 4 weeks ago, and I was hoping this week would have a post about my return to sports. Yeah.. I guess the sports-gods had other plans.

It happened during flag football. I went for a flag but instead got a wad of tshirt and a bit of belt. As my hand got all tied up, my opponent swiveled his hips. And let’s just say in the confrontation between my right ring finger and his hips.. my finger lost the battle. A snap, crackle, pop later and I was out of the game. Oddly enough it didn’t really hurt. It hurt a little initially and started to swell pretty quickly, but that was it. It scared me more than anything since it felt weird and I couldn’t figure out what had happened. The first time I broke my finger, I knew almost instantly something was really wrong. It hurt like nothing I’ve ever experienced. But this didn’t hurt any more than a mild-finger-jam. At half time of the game (I played the remainder of the first half), I took my receiver gloves off to tape my fingers together and saw what had happened. There wasn’t anything straight about my finger. It went up and then angled about 30-45 degrees left at my top knuckle. I’m not sure if the adrenaline wore off, or if it was me starting to freak out, but then it started hurting. I sat the second half of the game, and especially after yesterday’s x-ray, that was the smart decision. Although looking back if I’d known how long I would be out “healing” I may have stayed in and enjoyed my last 20 minutes of fun!

An x-ray later and it confirmed I’d fractured it. I’d split the bone diagonally across my finger between my top 2 knuckles. The doc-in-a-box at PrimaCare said I’d be out of commission for 4-6 weeks. :( He set my finger, splinted it, and told me to come back in 2 weeks for follow-up x-rays. (And just by the way, the lidocaine needles they used to numb my finger were MASSIVE. Yes, I am 27 years old and started crying in a doctor’s office because I had to get 2 shots. I own it. But you would have too if you saw how big they were!) Well, I was in Napa the weekend I would have done a follow-up. I don’t have the greatest affinity for doctors. So figuring this Saturday would be the 4-week mark, decided I could just tape up my finger really well, be extra careful out there, and go on my merry way. I’d been really good about following doc-in-a-box’s instructions AND I’d been forcing myself to drink a tall glass of milk everyday. Surely I would be almost healed! Nope, wrong again.

After getting some strong encouragement (read: you-can’t-play-without-being-cleared-by-a-doc), I made an appointment with another doctor to get my finger x-rayed again. You didn’t need a medical degree to plainly see on the x-ray that my finger wasn’t healed yet. It wasn’t even close. I knew the initial break went across the finger, I didn’t realize it went almost all the way through the bone. I didn’t realize I had a spiral fracture. (Thank you doc-in-a-box!)

Going into yesterday I thought the worst case scenario would be that I’d be out an additional 2 weeks. Instead of coming back at 4 weeks, I would have to sit for the full 6 weeks. But it’s not in the cards. I’m out another 4 weeks. Cue major sad face :( It doesn’t even hurt! I’m not saying I want to be in pain, I’m definitely not a masochist, but at least if I could feel it not being ok this whole waiting process would be easier. I could justify it a little better in my head. But it feels fine!! The good news is I have been cleared to run. So it looks like I’ll be going back to my P90X days (minus the chin-ups of course). Might as well get in shape during my off season!

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment