Welp it’s about that time again to sit down and think about what goals I want to set in 2015. Two of these carry over from last year, but the rest are all new! It’s been awhile since I had a whole bunch of “new” goals to hit in a year. But I’m determined to do it! Aim big, right?!
At the Crossfit box I joined, they put a bug emphasis on setting “SMART” goals. (SMART—specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely), so I’m going to apply that to each of these. There are fewer on the list this year, but they are also completely new that I’ve never tried to tackle before and I wanted to keep it realistic. (Ha! see what I did there?!)
Anywhooo here I go. The first 3 are my biggies!
- Sit for and earn my PMP
- In April I will have 36 months of project management experience and I can sit for the PMP exam. While it won’t make a difference in my day-to-day life, the extra certificate keeps me in a good position career-wise should I ever leave this job or drop out of the workplace for awhile. I want to sit for the test in the late spring/early summer so that I have the whole summer to go around and play in the sunshine!
- Patience/Stress Management
- I have a high-stress job, it’s part of the gig. I love what I do! But right now I pretty much only manage the stress through the occasional run (which it’s too cold to do outside right now) and twice-weekly Crossfit. While both certainly help, when I’m extra-busy or really stressed out, it really affects my sleeping and my appetite (basically both disappear and my stomach twists in knots). I really want to figure out a better way to deal with stress (and in turn patience!) than I have in the past.
- Cut debt in half
- Another carry over from last year. But I set specific monetary goals for each month. I got this! I think I’m in a better spot to get a grip on this this year, and it’ll still be quite the challenge with at least 4 weddings (2 of them family) popping up this year. It’ll take quite a bit of strategery but I can do it if I really focus!
- Explore more of the new city I live in – 3 new places each month!
- One of my coworkers gave me this ‘insider’s’ book to Detroit. At some point I need to get over not wanting to go places by myself and just get out there and go explore some of the places in the book. The book is HUGE so I won’t get to them all – particularly ones that are in more questionable parts of town – but no reason I can’t make a decent dent in what I have. Let’s see if I can get through 36 places in 2015!
- Cut back on the amount of sugar I eat
- This one is so funny.. because as a result of kicking the soda habit, I find myself eating a lot more sugar and sweet things. There’s nothing wrong with the occasional dessert, but I think I probably eat a lot more sugar than I think I do. I’m already pretty good about reading labels, but starting tomorrow I’m going to *attempt* to go 1 month without sugar to see how I feel. If it’s fruit, that’s no problem. Honestly the hardest part of this will be the 1 or 2 times a week I drink coffee, my coffee is definitely sweet!
- Maintain my 4 solid workouts each week!
- Semi-carried over from last year, but I want to keep this up. Now that the holidays and all the yummy once-a-year indulgences are done, I want to clean my diet back up and get back to hitting the gym hard. And I know it’s cold, but I’d at least like to get back into walking. If I can get myself to walk to/from work (which OMG!) I think the extra movement would do wonders. I definitely feel cooped up inside most of the time up here in Michigan. There’s something about fresh air I definitely miss!